Friday, May 18, 2012

Not getting me down

I pulled my calf muscle again.  Walking down the stairs to the garage to take out trash.  I could let this totally put me in a funk, but I'm not.

Nope, not this time.

1.  I HAVE to stay positive or I'll never run again.

2.  I had two of the best runs I've had in a long time this past week.  I mean, I felt great after each one.  So I can't let this set me back.

Nope, I'm not going to get down about it.  I'm simply going to rest for a few days, keep it wrapped up in an ace bandage and research some stretches to try to keep this from re-occurring.  I do think the muscle wasn't completely healed from the first time and that's why it happened.  I noticed the day before yesterday that my calf was tight after my run.  But it didn't hurt and felt ok so I didn't think much about it. 

I HAVE to start paying more attention to what my body is telling me.  I do not like these injuries.

Now I don't know if I'll be ready for the Lickety Split 5k on 6/9 in town or not.  I was really hoping to run it again this year since I won a medal in it last year.  (Hells yeah!) I don't want to overdo my calf though, and this course if VERY hilly.  I'm debating.  I have about 2 weeks to really decide.  I can even wait until race day and register and run it.  I just don't know if that would be a smart move. 

I ordered some calf compression sleeves to wear while I run.  I *hope* these help with my muscle tightness in this leg and help me prevent from pulling this muscle again.  Purple ones of course, because I want to look cool and fabulous while I run.

Oh, and Al and the kids got me a Nike Fuelband for Mother's Day.  Can I just say that this thing is way awesome?  AND I got a free shirt in the mail from Women's Running magazine.

Do you not see the signs?  I CAN'T stop now - hurt calf or not!  So, wish me luck on resting up and then getting back at it.  Again.

For the 100th time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment